1/1/12

Fun Employed

First and foremost dear readers: HAPPY 2012! We made it y'all, and the world hasn't ended yet. Woop!

Now for some explanation: quite obviously (and somewhat regretfully I might add), I've been MIA here on the interwebz. But only because a wonderful stroke of luck hit me around the time of my last post here and I've been super, super busy ever since: I GOT A JOB!!! biggrin

And a most wonderful job it is...

Almost exactly six months after I made these declarations, I got a random phone call from the Deputy Executive Director of a non-profit here in DC. The organization wanted me to come in and interview for a Web Developer position that would be responsible for maintaining the international presence of said organization on the web. I knew this was a great opportunity as soon as I got the phone call, and I prepared for my interview accordingly. Long story short, after wowing the staff with my web knowledge and prowess during three rounds of interviews--including a ~fabulous~ PowerPoint presentation--I got the position!

Last Halloween was my first day on the job; I went as a Successful Black Woman, fyi.

My job duties are quite similar to the ones I have maintaining www.lisa-bee.com--but on a much larger scale, of course. Some of my responsibilities include: managing the day-to-day operation and maintenance of all websites; designing & developing new webpages and implementing web content updates, graphic design, banner ads, social network management, and multimedia development; developing site concepts, interface design, and architecture of websites; and using strong navigation and site-design instincts, as well as researching new technologies available and recommending technical and architectural improvements. 


All things I've been doing--for free--for the almost three years (wow, time flies when you're having fun!) I've had this blog. Now, I'm getting paid more than I've made in any other job I've held in my life, doing something I love and am passionate about.

MIND BLOWN.

Three months in and I'm still in awe that I took something that was basically a hobby for me and turned it into my full-fledged career.

A mentor from my days at Sports Illustrated told me that if I find a job I enjoy, I'll never work a day in my life. I've kept that adage in mind since beginning this journey, and it's still very relevant today. Every day I get up to go to work, I am so grateful--and, dare I say it, even thrilled--to be there. Not only am I and the rest of the staff working toward a mission we all believe in--that of furthering the resources and support available to engineers worldwide--for myself, at least, I'm also literally working my dream job.

What makes this all the more sweet for me is that I worked incredibly hard to get to this point. Aside from the support and guidance of my dearest friends and family, no one else can say they put !i$@ bee in the position she's in now besides myself. And that's a great MFing feeling, lemme tell ya.

The year 2011 was a bust for many reasons, and for many folks. But I'm glad to say mine ended on a high note, and my 2012 begins on one, too smile

Maneki Neko, or Lucky Cat