9/19/11

Suckers, Punching: Mayweather vs. Ortiz

Those of you who caught the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight on Saturday HAVE to be in an uproar over that mess. I'm not the biggest boxing fan in the world (personally, I find it a little barbaric), but I really expected more sportsmanliness--from both sides!--for my my friend's $60.

The post-fight commentary was entertaining though:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

You tell him, Larry Merchant!

Yeah, Ortiz headbutting Mayweather was definitely NOT a good look. And while hilarious and unexpected, you gotta admit that Mayweather 1. Looking directly at the ref before swinging and 2. Actually knocking ol' boy the hell out during what appeared to be a timeout* was really... uh... not how I expected this fight to go down. Not for my friend's $60! I sincerely hope they do a rematch on this one mad

Read more on the controversy surrounding the fight in this LA Times article.

In other news, watching the fights leading up to the game, I found myself a new favorite boxer! His name is Canelo (aka "Cinnamon"... awww) Alvarez and he has ~red hair~ You know how much I love natural red heads. He's so much fun to watch:

Get 'em Red! Read more about his fight vs. Alfonso Gomez here.


* Yeah yeah yeah, watch your back at all times, yadda yadda yadda. Still a dirty move Floyd!